Currently Available Guided Horseback Rides
Enjoy the Maine wilderness like never before. Rides for first timers to seasoned riders mean everyone can have fun. We can take riders as young as 6. Rides available from 1 to 4 hours. Great scenery in our own woods and fields and take a longer trips into the beautiful Jugtown Forest.
4 hrs ~ $400/couple
Thanks to a great new trail developed by the Lake Region ATV club, we are able to provide this ride more safely. The new trail includes an expansive section of bridges through a lowland area which adds to its beauty. Weekdays only. The ride starts at the farm and takes you down into the heart of Jugtown Forest
These rides are not currently available. Read the descriptions for the approximate dates of availability.
45 min to 1hr ~ $65 Add $5 for snack and hot beverage from the Road Apple Cafe A walk only ride designed for beginners and the beautiful view of the White Mountains along what we hope will be a snow covered trail but we ride no matter what the trail looks like as long as […]
Private Guided Trail Rides and Specialty Rides ~ Minimum two people
Longer rides up to five hours, regular rides guaranteed private, special services such as photos, meals, and riding at your location are all possible, call us for details. Prices vary, private rides for larger groups and longer rides are discounted depending on the details. Ride to Quaker Ridge with its 360 degree view, explore Jugtown Forest and its wildlife and sandy trails for lots of cantering. We can ride on your property, Acadia National Park, beaches when they are open and more. Bring us your ideas!
Please read before reserving
Payments are now easier to make than ever before. Cash is still preferred if you wait until the day of the ride, but credit cards will be accepted with a 3.5% convenience fee. If you wish to pay by credit card without the convenience fee you may purchase a gift certificate in advance of your reservation. Be sure to mention the gift certificate at the time of the reservation or before you arrive for your ride. Cash reservations are dependent on arriving 15 min early and calling to confirm the day before. No shows mean that fewer people can ride since we often have a waiting list in winter months. So please call at least 2 hrs in advance but preferably 12 hrs in advance if you need to cancel.
A portapotty restroom is available but PLEASE arrive a few minutes early if you think anyone in your party will need to use it. Riders MUST have long pants and a solid shoe to ride. And be sure to arrive 10 minutes early to fill out releases and get fitted for helmets. Thank you!
Requirements to Ride CHF Horses
- All riders must be eight years for beginner ride (special considerations for 6 and 7 years old, call for details) no more than two children under the age of 10 per ride due to equipment restrictions. An adult must accompany children under 12. Children must be 13 for intermediate rides or older. Younger children can do intermediate if they are currently riding and taking lessons and have been for at least a year. Trot and canter are at the discretion of the guide.
- Riders over 220 lbs please use these guidelines (riders 220lbs to 250lbs must have a 30″ inseam, riders 250lbs to 280lbs must have a 34″ inseam due to equipment restrictions. We do not take riders over 280 lbs.)
- All riders on our guided trail rides are required to wear helmets. (bring your own or use one of ours must be SEI certified for horseback riding, no bike helmets)
- A liability release must be read and signed by all riders or their legal guardians before the guided trail ride. (please arrive ten minutes early to read and sign release and be fitted with a helmet) or you can request that we e-mail you copies to be read and signed before arriving. All minors not accompanied by a legal guardian must have releases signed and a copy of the signers drivers license must accompany the release.
- All riders must wear long pants and shoes preferably with a heel. No sandals or open-toed shoes.
- All riders must obey and be capable of understanding the guides’ instructions throughout the ride.
- Failure to follow any of these instructions can result in immediate termination of your ride without a refund!!
- Please arrive ten minutes early to sign the liability release and be fitted with a helmet.
- A minimum of two hours notice must be made in order to reschedule your ride. Deposits and discounts may be lost due to late notice. 24 to 48 hrs notice is appreciated in order to fit everyone in during busy times.
Guided Trail Ride experience definitions
Beginner:(definition) does not ride regularly or at all. Cannot canter or trot for more than one minute at a time, has never cantered outside a lesson, has not ridden at least 40 times and been mounted on less than five horses. Suggested Guided Trail rides: Pear’s Ride (Memorial Day to Labor Day only), 1 hour beginner trail ride, Winter Wonderland Ride, Longer rides walk or walk/trot only.
Intermediate: (definition) has ridden regularly in the last five years (more than 40 times per year), has ridden regularly within the last year, walks, trots and canters comfortably, has ridden more than five different horses. Suggested Guided Trail rides: Nun’s Farm Loop, Yahoo Corner, Jugtown Run
Advanced: (definition) rides regularly walk, trot, canter, rides both english and western, competes, rides more than one horse on a regular basis, can ride with seat and legs. Suggested Guided Trail Rides: All Intermediate Rides above, Gullywhunkel Whipper and Bolster’ Mills
I thought I would add a section on tipping since so many people ask about it when they come to ride. Normally tips range from $5 to $20 per couple or family. Any amount of tip is always appreciated if you are happy with the service.
Please remember if anything is not to your satisfaction during the ride, let us know by e-mail or a written letter or bring it to my attention after your ride when I am available. We strive to make your ride pleasant and safe but the guide’s job is very difficult. Remember to always follow the guide’s directions, don’t overstate your ability and recognize when you are having an issue with your horse and ask your guide for help immediately. Following these simple guidelines will assure your guided trail ride is enjoyable!
To make a reservation
Use the large green button on any available ride above.
You will need the following information:
- Date youd like to ride
- A phone number we can reach you at the day of the ride
- Voucher Numbers from any coupons you would like to use
- Ages of all riders.
An auto email will come to you after you fill out the form (Your ride is not yet confirmed), you will then get another email from the farm, within 48 hours, stating the exact time and date of your ride based on your your reservation preferences and our current schedule.
If you receive this confirmation e-mail and it does not work for your group feel free to reply as quickly as possible with another date or time that will work. We do our best to put you in your preferred time but will put you in anywhere we have open if its a busy day and then wait for your response if you’d like to change it.